meta name="title" content="Confessions Of A Southpaw" /> Confessions of A Southpaw: tryout day

Pages

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

tryout day



"There are three things you can do in a baseball game. You can win, you can lose, or it can rain."       Casey Stengel
I find Casey Stengel's quote funny. Funny because it's not that it can rain on the day of tryouts, it's that it will rain. Anyone who has ever been around little league baseball knows this. You might be soaking up the early spring sun in the days leading up to it, but come that fateful day soaking is all you will be doing. And this year was no different. Sun. Then rain. Lots of it.

I can remember many such tryouts as a kid. There I sat shivering in the cold, barely able to feel the ball, and begging for this hour to be over.  And now that I'm a little older I can assure this mindset does not change - for parents, kids, or coaches. The difference being I now have a coffee in hand to provide me brief moments of comfort.

Such is spring in Canada. Short, cold days of baseball tryouts and long nerve racking nights of watching the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

                                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails